A Critical Reflection

As the module comes to an end, I am inclined to reflect on this learning journey of improving my communication skills. At the beginning of this module, I wrote a descriptive reflection addressed to Professor Blackstone mentioning a few of my strengths, weaknesses, and goal by the end of this module. My goal was to be able to project my voice better when speaking. 
 
Throughout the module, I had various opportunities to speak in front of my peers through settings like presentations and in-class public readings. At first, it was a struggle to project my voice across the room as I was feeling insecure about the said shortcoming. Adding to this difficulty was the global pandemic that resulted in me needing to speak through a mask. However, through various feedbacks from Professor Blackstone and my peers, and persistence on my part, I can confidently say that my voice projection has improved significantly. Moving forward, I would like to involve myself in public speaking activities to improve and sharpen both my voice projection and my presentation skills.
 
On another note, I have thoroughly enjoyed and learned plenty from the group research project experience. The research project was a combination of research, report writing, and presentation. At first, it was a little of a struggle to conduct secondary research on the project through the internet. However, with the help of our school’s senior librarian, Jenny Wong, I have learned various research skills like the Boolean “AND” and “OR,” and determining the credibility of websites. Regarding report writing, though it took a while for me to catch, I have learned to compose my reports in the APA citation (7th edition).
 
The research project would not have been possible without my group members: Dexter and Celine. Though they were very kind and helpful, I had to learn to adjust my working methods to complement theirs’. In my opinion, Dexter is one of the best presenters among his peers. He has taught me how to posture myself, project my voice, and utilize metaphors when giving a presentation pitch. He is invaluable in my journey of improving my presentation skills. Celine has a knack for the minutiae and all things creative. She has been instrumental in the designing of our slides and our report. She has taught me the art of grabbing the audience’s attention by utilizing attractive slides crafted through Canva, an online design platform. With her guidance, I have used her methods for other projects, and they have proved to produce the desired effects.
 
For the past thirteen weeks, there was an improvement in my ability to project my voice, and I have picked up a few new skills. Truly, this module has been meaningful and enjoyable. As Professor Blackstone used to say, “time flies when you are having fun.” I look forward to further improve myself during my time here at SIT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Descriptive Reflection in the Form of a Formal Letter

An Annotated Summary

The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers